I had pretty low hopes for iOS 7.
The previews were generally pretty negative. The screenshots didn't look that terrific. I held back and didn't install any of the betas.
However, I finally folded on release date. Many hours and many failed attempts later, my iPad 3 was suitably updated and I kicked off the download on my iPhone 5.
I wasn't overly excited by the prospect, so left them both until the next morning before I had a proper play.
And what a lovely surprise I had :)
This is a really, really nice OS. I love the speed of it. I love the way the pages zoom and whiz all over the place. It's an absolute joy to use.
There are a few features worth the update alone. I'd gladly swap iOS 6 for iOS 7 for any single one of these, never mind all of them:
- Notification dismissal sync (clear a notification on one device and it clears on the other)
- Spotlight on any home screen - I'm now using this almost exclusively to launch apps
- The new app switcher
- The mail app, with all of its swipey goodness
- The clarity of the fonts
- Being able to chuck as many apps into a folder as you want
- Background app data updates
- Auto app updates
And this is all just superficial stuff, really. But, combined with the enormous number of other improvements, this is a hell of a leap forward and has transformed my devices.
Yeah, there are a few issues, but when is there not with a 1.0 release?
Don't listen to all the naysayers. Go and update your device now and enjoy the future.